©2017 THE RESEARCH & TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER OFFICE | FAYETTEVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY PAGE 2 HISTORYOF FAYETTEVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY Fayetteville State University was founded in 1867 as the Howard School. Seven prominent African-Americans pooled $136 to purchase two lots on which to build the school. In 1877, a legislative act provided for the establishment of a teacher training institute for Black North Carolinians, The Howard School was chosen. In 1877, it became the first state sponsored institution of higher education for African Americans in North Carolina, and was renamed the State Colored Normal School. In 1939, FSU became the Fayetteville State Teachers College, in 1963 Fayetteville State College and in 1969 became Fayetteville State University. The university is a constituent of the University of North Carolina System and is the second oldest member. For most of its history the university was a teachers college, a proud heritage that is continued to this day. As time progressed, the university started conducting research, in the social sciences and in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) areas. In 2008, the scope of the university broadened and a greater focus was placed on research. In 1877, a legislative act provided for the establishment of a teacher training institute for Black North Carolinian The Howard School was chosen.